Monday, November 24, 2008

Tanning 1

Well it's deer season again. Which means it's time to try my hand at brain tanning again. I went to my girlfriend's dad's house to pick up my hide rack.

I'm only partially proud of this rack. I used wing nuts to bolt it together, so it's very easy to take apart and transport. What I don't like about it is that it's not quite sturdy enough. I would like to build another one with something thicker than 2x4's. Anyway, when I picked up the rack, my girlfriend's dad also gave me a deer hide to work on.

Here's a picture of the hide just after I thawed it out.
Once I got the hide thawed out, I brought out all my tanning tools.The deer (as usual) was poorly skinned, so I had a lot of fleshing to do. I bought this fleshing knife from Gander Mountain for under 10 dollars I think. It works really well.

I have a fairly nice fleshing beam that I made from a section of large pvc pipe, but I left it at my friend Jon's house so I just used a garden timber leaned against a tree. I think I actually like the upright method better, so I might stick with that. Here are some before and after fleshing pictures of the hide on the timber.

Before
and after
Now the hide is soaking in a bucket of water and dish soap to loosen the hair. I'll continue posting this project as I go.

1 comment:

Ryan Maki said...

That looks good! Can't wait to see your updates on the project.